Glass House Mountains Community Hall
PO Box 2 Glass House Mountains Qld 4518
8 Coonowrin Road, Glass House Mountains, QLD, 4518
phone: (07) 5496 9349
The Glass House Mountains Community Hall was previously known as the Glasshouse Mountains School of Arts and was erected in 1916. The School of Arts Reserve was gazetted in April 1916, and the new building was officially opened by Mr James Forsyth MLA in September 1916. The Hall became an incorporated body in 1990.
The Hall was constructed with a shop incorporated in the front of the building, and a library was included.
In the early days, the Hall was used for moving picture shows, church services, debutante balls, indoor bowls, CWA activities, and as a venue for public meetings and school functions. After its formation, the RSL used the Hall for meetings, functions and Anzac Day celebrations until its own building was constructed after WW2. The Hall still hosts the local community Anzac Day celebrations.
Extensive renovations and additions were carried out over the years, with the Hall refurbished in 1954; extended in 2010; the stage relocated and the dance floor replaced in 2011; and the awning at the front of the building replaced in 2016.
The hall has a large space for hire, suitable for dances, weddings, and large functions.
The Hall is well maintained with a well-equipped kitchen, and hire charges are very reasonable.
Currently the hall is used by a number of local groups on a regular basis.
The Hall Committee holds a regular dance on the first Saturday of each month (old time and new vogue) and activities include:
- Yoga classes
- Line dancing
- Dancing classes
- Patchwork classes