Peachester Community Hall
960 Peachester Road
Peachester Qld 4519
Bookings: Secretary (07) 5494 9557
The Peachester School of Arts was established in 1889, the first hall in what is now known as the Glasshouse Country district. A School of Arts Reserve was proclaimed in July 1889, then the hall was built by volunteer labour with donated materials. Trustees elected from the community were appointed by the Government to administer the Reserve.
This little hall served the community well for many years, used also as a Provisional School from 1892 until 1911 when the nearby State School was opened, and at various times for church services.
In 1945 the tenure of the reserve was changed to a Reserve for Recreation, and the School of Arts became a Public Hall. The old building had fallen into disrepair by this time, so it was pulled down, rebuilt and enlarged in 1947. Once again most of the materials were donated, and the original foundation timber was reused.
Over the years the hall has been the central meeting place for the Peachester community, used regularly by community organisations for meetings, dances, concerts, markets, reunions, school activities and church services, and it has been the scene of many family celebrations.
As the population increased, several additions have endeavoured to keep up with the needs of the community. The Trustees in each generation have ensured that the hall is well maintained, while keeping rental charges moderate so it is accessible to everyone.
In 2016 the decision was made to set up an incorporated association to manage the hall and Reserve, and “Peachester Community Hall Inc” is now Trustee of the Reserve for Recreation.
Early in 2017 the hall took over management of the Uniting Church next door, which is now known as Peachester Community Church, and is administered with the hall.
Contact for bookings:
Bruce and Helen Page, phone 5494 9557, email email@example.com
Festival event: Friday, 11th August, 6pm – 10:30pm
“Inigo Jones and the Deluge” Movie, Meal & Memorabilia
In 1874 Inigo Jones’s parents migrated to Australia, settling on a property called Crohamhurst in the Glass House Mountains north of Brisbane in eastern Queensland. He became interested in meteorology while working on the family farm.
The Queensland Government meteorologist Clement Lindley Wragge was so impressed with Inigo’s ability as a schoolboy that he recruited him as an assistant in 1888.
Jones studied the variation in sunspot cycles that had been discovered by Eduard Bruckner, and came to the conclusion that anomalies were caused by the interaction of the planets Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. This became the basis of his long-range weather forecasts, although he never claimed to be able to make day-to-day predictions. Although Jones failed to have his methods recognised as soundly based, by any substantial body of accredited scientific opinion he was widely recognised for his successes, especially by farmers.
Inigo Jones became a full-time forecaster and lecturer in 1927 and founded the privately operated Crohamhurst Observatory in south-east Queensland.
(from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inigo_Owen_Jones)
Deluge film 1999: In ‘Black February’ 1893, Brisbane had three floods in two weeks. The events that followed put Brisbane and South-East Queensland into world headlines. “Deluge” highlights the heroic efforts of Henry Somerset and Billy Mateer as they fought to get a warning to Brisbane of the horrendous floods bearing down on its citizens.